Recipes have been lightly edited.
4 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until they are thick and lemon colored.
- Whisk in the sugar, nutmeg, lemon juice and salt.
- Add the milk and cream.
- Beat with a hand mixer for 1-2 minutes or until the eggnog is frothy.
- Serve with ice.
Mulled Wine/Spiced Cider
4 cups apple cider
1 (750-ml) bottle red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon @@@(omit for Spiced Cider)@@@
1/4 cup honey
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange, zested and juiced
4 whole cloves
3 star anise
4 oranges, peeled, for garnish
- Combine the cider, wine, honey, cinnamon sticks, zest, juice, cloves and star anise in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour into mugs, add an orange peel to each and serve.
Hot Buttered Rum
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cup spiced rum (optional)
2 cups boiling water
4 sticks cinnamon, for garnish
- Beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4-cup (or larger) measuring cup.
- Add the rum and then 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves.
- Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.